Danish Palace Shares Update on Queen Margrethe, 86, After Heart Attack and Hospitalization

Danish Palace Shares Update on Queen Margrethe, 86, After Heart Attack and Hospitalization

Queen Margrethe of Denmark has been released from the hospital and has returned to Fredensborg Palace

People Queen Margrethe has been released from the hospital following heart health issuesCredit: Gisela Schober/WireImage

NEED TO KNOW

  • The 86-year-old queen canceled a planned appearance to focus on recovery after recent heart health issues

  • Health concerns contributed to her decision to abdicate in January 2024 after over five decades on the throne

Queen Margretheof Denmark has been released from the hospital after experiencing a heart attack.

“Her Majesty Queen Margrethe has been discharged from Rigshospitalet today and is returning to Fredensborg Palace,” read a Tuesday, May 19,press releasefrom the Royal House.

“Queen Margrethe also wishes to thank you for the many kind thoughts and greetings that have been sent to Her Majesty,” the release continued.

Her hospital release comes afterThe Royal House announcedin astatementon Thursday, May 14, "Queen Margrethe has been admitted to Rigshospitalet this afternoon," adding that the cause was linked to heart health.

"Queen Margrethe will be hospitalized over the weekend for observation and further examinations," the statement said, adding, "Her Majesty is tired but in good spirits. The Royal House will announce when there is news."

Speaking to reporters,Queen Mary,the Australian-born wife of the king, said on Tuesday that she was happy to see her mother-in-law back home.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (center) at Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen on April 16, 2023Credit: MADS CLAUS RASMUSSEN/Ritzau Scanpix/AFP via Getty

“Well, I’ve actuallyjust come from the hospital, and she is doing much better. And fortunately, she is now on her way home to Fredensborg,” the 54-year-old Queen Consort said.

She continued, “Now we are neighbors, so it’s absolutely wonderful. Yes, it’s great."

Advertisement

In the newest statement, The Royal House added that because Queen Margrethe “must remain calm,” her planned appearance at the Pantomime Theatre on Saturday, May 23, has been canceled.

The former monarch renounced her title in January 2024 on the 52nd anniversary of her accession.

The queen, 86, cited health concerns among her reasons for stepping down inthe shocking speech announcing her abdication.

From left: Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, Margrethes dog Tilia, King Frederik X of Denmark and Queen Mary of Denmark on April 16, 2026Credit: Martin Sylvest Andersen/Getty

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

"In February this year, I underwent extensive back surgery. Everything went well, thanks to the competent health personnel, who took care of me," she said at the time.

"Inevitably, the operation gave cause to thoughts about the future – whether now would be an appropriate time to pass on the responsibility to the next generation," she continued. "I have decided that now is the right time."

Following the abdication, she continued to attend public events but was sidelined multiple times last year by hospitalizations after she once fell, and later contracted a cold.

Read the original article onPeople

Post a Comment

0 Comments